Our Home Care Services go Beyond the Basics of Care
Home Care Assistance Vancouver is known as a leader in the Vancouver home care industry as we go beyond the basics of care, offering a holistic approach we call Balanced Care Method™ , as well as the highest level of case management expertise. We are the only agency with highly qualified case managers who are either social workers or nurses that oversee the care from start to finish.
Our Case managers conduct a comprehensive initial assessment, provide ongoing monitoring and supervision through regular home visits and phone calls, and periodically update the families on the progress of their loved one. They are also true advocates for our clients, liaising with other health care professionals and making referrals to additional support groups in the community, etc.
This ongoing oversight is at no additional cost and is part of our commitment to a high standard of care for all our clients.
Who may need our Case Management?
Caring for a loved one and looking for the right care provider can be an overwhelming process. This is why we have put a great emphasis on case management oversight as part of our service. We want to ensure the highest level of care while at the same time providing family members with much-needed peace of mind that their loved one will be well cared for.
Everyone can benefit from the ongoing case management we provide as part of our care. Here are examples of some scenarios:
- A crisis has occurred, typically health related, no one knows what to do, uncertain whom to contact, and unsure what services are available. (Family or Friend who’s overwhelmed, distressed on the phone, received new diagnosis or recent hospitalization with significant decline)
- A loved one needs help and the primary support person lives too far away to provide assistance, or is struggling to balance many roles.
- It is difficult to reach the physician and other professionals involved and you want to know what is happening.
- A caller is concerned that they or their loved one is unable to continue to live independently and would like to investigate available options.
- Out of town relatives receive frequent pleas for help from their loved ones and don’t know where to turn.
- A caller’s loved one is diagnosed with dementia or other progressive disease.
- There is a disagreement over the type of assistance needed or how to provide care for their family member.
We will assess your parents’ home safety. This becomes critical if cognitive decline is clouding their judgment. The Case Manager might point out hazardous furniture that can trip an elderly person or determine whether he or she needs a bar in the shower or any other medical equipment to help them age in place.
Meet our Case Managers
Karyn Davies, RCC – Case Manager
Karyn is an experienced social worker and registered clinical counsellor who has rich experience working with individuals and families in the healthcare system, community agencies, and private practice. She brings in-depth knowledge of senior care, mental health challenges, and complex health and social issues; as well as a passion for supporting individuals through their life transitions. Her background in family caregiver group facilitation, one-to-one caregiver support, and end-of-life care enables her to provide holistic care to families. Karyn approaches her work with mindfulness and integrity, and is honoured to journey with clients in a Case Management role. She looks forward to getting to know the life story, strengths, and goals of each client.
Amanda Brainard, nursing background – Case Manager
Amanda brings with her over 6 years experience in nursing, in both the public and private sector, having worked in hospitals, hospice, facilities as well as in the home care space. Furthermore, she has worked both directly in patient care as well as in healthcare management roles, and has worked in several interdisciplinary teams . Her multi-layered experience has given her a holistic perspective in her approach to care, making her an excellent resource for families with respect to navigating the healthcare system. She has a special passion for geriatric care, chronic disease and palliative care and thrives in being able to profoundly impact her Clients’ lives.