Increasing fiber consumption is often recommended to seniors by nutritionists because the complex carbohydrate offers so many benefits. Although there are several ways to classify fiber, the nutritional benefits remain the same and have been listed below by Home Care Assistance of Vancouver!
- Helps Reduce Cholesterol – Consuming peas, lentils, and beans can help reduce cholesterol due to the viscous fiber contained in these foods. When fiber combines with water, it forms a jelly like substance in the stomach which helps to absorb any bad cholesterol that may be found there.
- Weight Control – Fiber that is found in the foods mentioned above increase the feelings of fullness resulting from the jelly-like substance formed in the stomach. This makes it easier to eat less and consume fewer calories. In addition to this, fiber has less calories than other carbohydrates. In general, those who consume more foods high in fiber have an easier time maintaining their weight.
- Preventing Constipation – Fiber rich foods will add to stool bulk, helping to regulate digestion and decreasing the time that is needed for waste to pass through the body. Vegetables, fruit, and wheat bran are good choices to help treat and prevent constipation.
- Reduces Cancer Risk – Eating fiber helps prevent colon, small intestine, stomach, ovarian, and breast cancers. This is due to fibers cleansing out the digestive tract of different toxins. Fruits and vegetables high in fiber such as bananas, apples, spinach, and carrots, are also packed with antioxidants which are known to be cancer fighting agents.
- Increased Functionality – Eating a diet that is high in fiber will increase the body’s functionality. This means seniors will have more energy and increased brain, skin, and hair health. Research shows fiber also reduces diet-related problems such as kidney stones and joint pain.
To learn more about promoting total health for a senior in your life, reach out to Home Care Assistance of Vancouver today and ask about our Balanced Care Method, a unique approach to senior care that focuses on a balanced diet, regular exercise, maintaining social ties, and achieving feelings of calmness and purpose.
Call (778) 279-3634 and speak with an experienced Case Manager and request a complimentary, no-obligation consultation for more information.